The Refrigeration School, Inc. was founded in Phoenix, Arizona in 1965 to meet the growing need for high quality education and training of air conditioning and refrigeration technicians. RSI was started by family members, with backgrounds in refrigeration and air conditioning, who had a great deal of insight and inspiration and the knowledge necessary to train new technicians to the required skill level. Over the years RSI has grown and developed an excellent reputation for providing the student with the best possible service and has become one of the leading providers of HVAC/R technicians in the country.
Also critical to the school's growth has been the acceptance by various agencies including approval by the Arizona Department of Veterans Services for the training of veterans and accreditation by the Accrediting Commission of Career Schools and Colleges of Technology. Electrical Technologies and Electro-Mechanical Technologies courses were added in 1986 and 1987 respectively to respond to the growing demand for entry level electricians and facility maintenance technicians. In 1992 the school made the additional commitment and developed an Associate of Occupational Studies degree program in Mechanical Maintenance Engineering.
The RSI campus which is easily accessible from all parts of the Phoenix metropolitan area, includes two buildings with 21,000 square feet of classroom, lab, and support service facilities. An additional 5,400 square feet of outdoor shop area brings the total to over 26,000 square feet of training facilities.
The mission of the Refrigeration School, Inc. is to assist adult learners in development of the skills and knowledge necessary, and to support their personal goals, for employment and professional growth in the HVAC/R and Electrical Technologies fields.
- To promote effective student learning, skills and values that have proven to enhance the success of professionals in their career field.
- To facilitate an atmosphere of concern and caring for individuals in which to nurture adult learners' quest for academic excellence.
- To offer instruction, through a curriculum relevant to industry needs, that includes an appropriate mix of classroom and hands-on experience to bridge the gap between theory and practical application of the subjects introduced.
- To continue to explore effective and efficient methods to facilitate student learning.
- To utilize student and industry feedback in evaluating, refining and developing educational offerings.
- To be a for profit organization in order to maintain an appropriate innovative environment for focusing on providing excellence in service, educational quality and convenience for adult students.
- To generate adequate financial resources to sustain the mission of the Refrigeration School, Inc.